But then, how many people do you know that religiously take vitamin pills who are truly healthy? I can’t think of any in my case.
My own experience of taking multi-vitamins, and later phyto-nutrionals did not make me feel more healthy nor energetic. I still felt tired waking up in the mornings and wanted to doze in the afternoons after a big meal.
I believed in prevention. Or I should say, I liked believing in prevention – eating healthy and exercising regularly. Liked the idea. But I was a little lazy when it actually came to doing it. Occasional walks but nothing regular. And when it came to food, as long as it wasn’t meat or fish, down the hatch it went. Potato chips were a particular favourite.
So, is it really so hard to adopt a healthy lifestyle and diet? No – I don’t believe so. But we need to recognize and accept that if we have unhealthy habits, our bodies will be unhealthy as a result and also that we can actually do something about it. And that we want to – that’s the starting point.
Our body’s cause and effect is very clear. Junk food in – result: junk food body.
I had a few questions from some folk about how I did my juicing and keep to a 50% raw food diet this winter so here’s my experience.
One Way, But Not The Only Way
In the morning upon awaking, I would drink two glasses of water, followed by a cup of hot English tea (habit acquired over many years in the UK). After about half an hour, I’d have the first juice, usually carrot with something, or fruit juice. That sets me up for the morning’s activities.
For breakfast, another juice, usually some greens like kailan, broccoli, round cabbage with apple. Also, a bowl of hot soup with some nuts thrown in, with spirulina powder or goji berries (two of nature’s superfoods) thrown in. Sometimes, instead of soup, I’d just eat lots of fruit or make a quick salad and add nuts and avocado to it.
Lunch is often eating what the kitchen has cooked but no white rice – mainly the cooked veg. and anything else that’s not been fried too much. Sometimes in the late afternoon, and actually quite often now, I’d make another juice, using one of the recipes in my last post.
Dinner is usually a salad. If I felt hungry at night, I would usually snack on some nuts, seeds, dates or raisins. Quite often during the day, I would have some Rooibos (Red Bush) tea instead of English tea.
I should stress that I was not dieting so the portions I ate were pretty large. But if you eat a lot of fruit and veg., you can fill your stomach and still not have had a lot of calories, unlike meat or oily food (see image).
So, it was not that difficult to achieve a 50% or more raw food diet because the juices are also raw. It takes, what, about 1 kg of to yield about 400 – 500 ml of juice. And that’s pure nutrition that you are putting into your body in a form that it can easily absorb.
Want To Learn More?
There’s a lot of health information on the web – some good and some just out to get your money. The ones that I think have some good advice and information are these:Juicing for Health – Information and advice on juicing
List of Healthy Foods - Just ignore the meat and dairy items
Dean Ornish M.D. – His guide to healthy eating that you can stick to and reverse illnesses
Joel Fuhrman M.D. – Similar to Dean Ornish – plant based diets to reverse chronic illnesses
Gerson Institute – If you’re really sick, you may want to consider this.
No comments:
Post a Comment